Monday, August 24, 2009

So Fast So Furious

There’s something about being ‘fast’ that I think is over-rated. People are just way too obsessed with being fast, aggressive. Fast city, fast car, fast technology, fast person, everything and everyone ‘fast’ is to be revered, feared or respected. The Go-getters. The Winners. You got to have it all, and have it now. I mean, everywhere you go, anything you do, we want our things NOW. Instant gratification is the order of the day. Age, wisdom are passé. Something to be sniggered at. No wonder, we have so many 18 year olds hanging around in agencies who know absolutely nothing about advertising (And at their age, they are not expected to know anything about it), but man, they are smug. When you know nothing, to have a little bit of humility doesn’t hurt but then like I said, humility is passé. I wonder what these kids are drunk on. Ignorance, I guess. Because the less you know, the more you are not afraid of what you don’t. And if you are ever confronted with something you don’t know, you can always google.

People are so obsessed with getting and doing things so fast that it is mind-boggling. I mean, we got our ATM machines, and we get hopping mad if the guy in front of us takes more than 3 minutes for his transaction. We cannot wait to get in or out of a cinema hall or an airplane, as if elbowing out other people will fetch you better seats. Sheehij sent me this video and that’s when I thought of writing this post, because I so believe in what this bloke, Louis CK, An American Stand Up, Actor, Writer, Producer, Director says. We’ve come such a long way in getting things so fast at our disposal that we don’t value what we have. We are so dependent on the machine that the moment it falters even for a second, our world comes crashing down. People don’t have such expectations from fellow people. You’d be still okay with your girlfriend coming an hour late for your date, but god if your ATM machine fucks on you for a moment, you’d be cursing like crazy, like it owes you something. I have forever hated the way people think they have absolutely all the fucking right in the world to talk crap about the ‘aunty’ airhostesses of Air India. About how rude they are and how unattractive and old they are. You know what??! You are rude. Give her a fucking break. She’s your hostess, not your slave! And it is only a 2 hour journey. Your own mom or wife wouldn’t come running to you if you ring that bell so many times in 2 hours.

And this apathy and intolerance doesn’t just restrict to machines. People are critical of anybody who’s not ‘fast’. There’s something really malicious about the way one is treated if you don’t fit into their scheme of things in terms of what’s fast and what’s not. I have been a part of such maliciousness too. And more often than not I’ve been told that I talk to much, think a lot more than that. That I am not aggressive enough. That I am a drifter, not a go-getter. Too old. Too fat. Not FAST. Well, heck, I am not! And I used to be quite troubled by it. I wanted to be like the ‘fast’ friends I have. I wanted to be them. But I can’t. Because it’s not me. I don’t believe in self-help books, but one day somebody told me I’ll forever be like this, because it is me. And the day I develop a sense of humour about it, I’ll be a happy man. That was awesome advice. Now I try not to be so apologetic about who and what I am. Everyday I struggle with it. Every day, my jokes are on myself. A sense of humour is a wonderful thing. It’s helped me a lot.

I am not your quintessential winner guy, but I am learning to be happy with what I am. To sum it up, I’ll use a quote from Jerry Maguire, “I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.” No, thanks??

9 comments:

manmeet said...

Nice said friend. Reminds me of this incident, or rather an accident. I was enjoying my ride back home on my bullet. In comes a guy on a fast bike from my left, jumps the red at 60 and pushes it further.

The light turned green and we all turned right. This guy was rushing ahead but met another fast friend of his taking a fast U turn. Both thought they were faster than the each other, but sadly they were not. The guy banged into the car door, discovered human flight for 3 seconds and 50 meters, and fell on his back.

The car fled, the crowd gathered.

As for me, I couldn't decide whether I should act fast, pick up whatever was left of him and take him somewhere or act slow and call the slow ambulance/police. I still can't pick one.

Trailblazzzer said...

May b am an addict to this wonder drug too & truely enjoy the high it brings me :). . Have miles to go before i die . . . & dont have forever to live . . .

Anonymous said...

slow coach. slow coach...

Anonymous said...

there is no place for slow people in this world...
you must die!!!
evil laugh....

vimsical said...

@ Manmeet & Genius: Well, acting on impulse and doing the right thing when it requires is somehing i too swear by. Thre's a diference in being impulsive and being utterly resteless. Being impulsive always helps, it's helped me always.

@Anonymous: Exactly when i was thinking that it was no fun typing away to my comp any more, you show up and brighten up my day! So, Thank you, what's-his-name!! While you are around , you can check my other posts too, i am sure you'll have 'shitloads' to say!!

41 pairs of shoes said...

being fast is a virtue, yes. you get to do more, be more, see more, yada yada yada.

but there is a downside- try telling a girl she's fast and very soon you'll discover her shoe size. try telling a guy that and you'll soon be in the shadow of a thunderous ego.

and like a wise wise man once said- it's the journey that makes getting there worth the while.

so slow down you fast paced, vanilla pod. there are only so many cones in the world!

Goldbug said...

i remembered two things from this.. one pride and prejudice where Darcy says that Bingley like all other people takes pride in writing fast. (so this affliction is ages old) and two... that treating yourself humorously is the only way to survive! yep it is. Tom robbins has some fun takes on it.. read him vimal if you haven't already.

vimsical said...

@Anshumani: True that, ladiz! The ego-on-the-run-frat-pack!

@Aarti:Yeah, the good ol' problem of the young uns! And i will make it a point to read Tom Robbins. Thanks so much!

Richa said...

Admittedly, we love it fast(I safely assume the rest of my age peers would agree with me),
But its more like am a product of the times. It’s a fast paced world. I have to cope up with it.
Hell even our life span has shortened to less than 50 years and our complications just multiplied. And you know even those 18 year olds get only some three- six months to prove themselves in advertising!
Quite a short while to guage a person’s talent, don’t you think? So why won’t they be go-getters?